Spill Reporting

If you require assistance with an active spill contact Campus Security immediately at (250) 807-8111 or local 78111

As required by law, Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) alerts the appropriate authority to external releases of dangerous goods to air, water, and/or land. All spills (chemical, biological, or otherwise) on campus are to be reported in CAIRS.

All UBC personnel who work with or in proximity to chemicals, biohazards, or other harmful substances must take the Chemical Safety and/or Biological Safety course.

Completion of one or more of these courses requires UBC personnel to be prepared to respond to an accidental release or spill within their scope of work. Four components are required for an effective response to a spill:

  • Written safe work procedures
  • Clean-up material (i.e. spill kit)
  • Personal protective equipment (PPE)
  • Knowledgeable, well-trained staff

For more information please reference the following spill clean-up procedures

All spills into the environment are immediately reportable to Health, Safety, and Environment.