WorkSafeBC Coverage for Practicum/Clinical Placement Students

Certain UBC students are eligible for WorkSafeBC coverage if they are participating in the ‘practicum’ component of a program. In this situation students at UBC are deemed to be “workers of the Crown” under the Workers Compensation Act.

For more information contact HSE at

Practicum/Clinical Placement – Eligible Students

A practicum/clinical placement is defined as:

  • An assigned work experience component of a UBC-sanctioned program;
  • A required component of the program which is included in the program description in the institutional calendar, normally as a credit course; and which must be successfully completed by the student as a requirement for program graduation and certification; and
  • Unpaid work activities which are supervised by the employer or a qualified designate, and which occur at the employer’s regular business location.

The practicum/clinical placement may occur either:

  • “Off-site” at the host employer’s regular place of business; or
  • “On-site” at UBC premises, but only in a work place that is part of UBC’s regular business activities, such as an office administration practicum in the administration department.

Coverage does not include:

Paid Work Experience

  • A student who is paid by an employer while on a work experience or practicum component of their post-secondary education will be provided WorkSafeBC coverage through that employer. The Ministry is not the employer in these cases and therefore cannot provide WorkSafeBC coverage.

Out-of-Province Practicum

  • WorkSafeBC coverage is for workers who are injured while on the job in British Columbia. Students working outside of BC should confirm coverage with the province or country in which they will be on practicum. It is advisable that students obtain their own medical insurance for out-of-country placements.