The Hazardous Waste Inventory System (HWIS) is an online database used to safely dispose of hazardous waste at UBC.
For hazardous materials pickup complete an online request via the Hazardous Waste Inventory System (HWIS) by clicking the icon below. The HWIS is an online system for hazardous waste generators to submit hazardous wastes for pick up and disposal.
- How can I update my password? Please go to the HWIS login page and reset your password anytime by clicking on the “Forgot Your Password” link.
- Why can’t I login even though I’m using my correct CWL UBC email? Note that HWIS is not CWL integrated. Please use your UBC email (.ubc.ca), but use or create your own unique password for this system.
- Why can’t I login using my UBC FAS email? Please try to remember the exact email you’ve used to register. To login use your own UBC email exactly as it is registered or showing in the HWIS. Our system cannot reconcile the fact that the CWL email <CWLUserName@mail.ubc.ca> is the same as the official alias listed in the UBC directory <FirstName.LastName@ubc.ca>.
- Can I use my old HWIS account even if I have created a new account? If you are an existing user or PI, you are encouraged to, and can still use, your old account by updating your contact information, including your email address.
- What happens if I haven’t updated my user profile with a UBC email? The update panel will show every time you log in and you will not be able to continue unless your email is updated.
- What happens if I have a valid HWIS account but I don’t have a UBC email? Please contact HSE to discuss your special case.
- What can I do if I don’t have a Principal Investigator (PI)? Please contact HSE. PIs must be faculty members. System administrators can designate other groups as faculty if they do not have a PI (mostly in teaching labs).
- What information can I update under my user/PI profile? You may update your email, password, certificate info, new PI approvals, room number, department and building. If your department and building are not on the drop-down list, please contact HSE.
- Can my PI approve me even if his/her HWIS accounts is inactive? Yes, your PI can approve you as a lab contact even if his/her account is inactive, but your PI needs re-approval by admin for re-activation.
- Can my PI approve me even if his/her user profile (including training certification) is not updated? Yes, your PI can definitely approve you as a lab contact after login. Editing their user profile is not a necessary step.
- How can PIs approve their lab contacts? PIs will just have to click on the notification link received from the system, or they can login to their HWIS account and approve users from the PI Admin Panel under their user home page and clicking on “Approve”.
- Who approves PIs in the HWIS? Only system administrators can approve PIs.
- Will I be able to submit any chemical waste or disposal tag requests by contacting HSE directly before my PI approves me? No, HSE will not be able to accept any phone or email requests. Please wait for your PI’s approval.
- How will the mandatory training requirements affect existing HWIS users and PIs? The new mandatory safety training requirements will come in effect later for existing users and in the meantime, everyone can still use the system.